Wednesday 1 November 2017

Designing 'Escape Zone 3000'

For my animation I've always had a sense of how I want it to look, The character, who is now known as C-13 (inspired by a Buster Keaton movie called 'Convict 13') being the aspect I have looked at the most. Below are my initial scribbles trying to find something from the rubble of drawings.


The picture above is, in a way, an evolution of the character from the first doodles on the left to the newest on the right. From here I began to develop a particular sketch that I liked, as seen below.
What I liked most about this design was it's simplicity, which is something that I was aiming for. There is also a sense of the Kubrick in the sketches within the shape of the head. 
I was also looking at Marvin the Martian when it came to the actual facial features or lack of,  I liked the idea of the eyes looking like they were floating in the middle of this head.
He currently has no mouth, which I am still not sure about, however,  I was thinking of giving him a small L.E.D screen mouth, which I may still do when I take these designs further. 

Next, I moved on to the environment. I have always had the idea that the character and the environment would contrast off of one another. Like many films I wanted to use what could be considered a cliche set of colours, specifically the orange of C-13's suit and the teal/blue of the environment. With this in mind I wanted particular things to stand out, mainly the red, neon arrows that point C-13 in the direction he needs to go, I chose red because of the ominous feel I want the viewer to have. There is also the green of C-13's eyes.


Zone 3000 is an island prison, it's big and in the middle of the sea, there is a bridge that leads in to the building but leading out I want it to seem endless, as if nobody knows where it connects to because nobody has travelled far enough. At the top of the island I plan on having a large holographic sign that revolves above, projecting the ominous, red glow. this is also the case with the designs below, the cell, which is where he begins his journey is illuminated by holographic cell bars.

I also had a look at designing the title, I wanted it to have an 80's vibe, like the rest of the film. I'm drawn towards the design in the bottom right corner of the image below, but looking back I feel there are a couple of others that stand out more. Feedback on this is more than welcome. 


With all this in mind, I plan on moving forward with the designs to something more finalised. 

3 comments:

  1. oh, sorry - not very useful! I like the font on the bottom right, but something about the two dots feels messy to me in a way it doesn't when everything is on a single line - maybe try it without?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean, I think that's what was putting me off it in the first place, will try it without. Thanks Phil :)

      Delete