Monday 30 October 2017

The Robo-Shark Scene

Recently, myself and Alan were speaking about the action sequence within my animation. My main focus was to throw in as many obstacles as possible at the character for him to have to overcome. This was all fine, but Alan suggested I try and change the pace of the scene, this is when he suggested looking at Buster Keaton and I am very glad that he did. 
I've looked at the way that Keaton has set up his shots, specifically when getting across a gag to the audience. One of his rules is, if the camera doesn't see it, then neither does the character.
So with this in mind, and some other bits of inspiration, I have put together a rough animatic to try and get across some visual comedy in the action scene. The main focus of the video was to get a sense of timing, I've also added some royalty free music to give a better understanding to the way in which I feel the entire scene would come together.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tom. Please excuse the slow reply. Reading week was a very busy period. The essence of the piece is ok but I think the timing and execution need work. Comedy is all about timing and build up and I think this version is a little linear. My advice to to work on the build up more. Cutting between the elements (robot, eyes, tank, sharks) to create tension - Making longer and more elaborate. Then do your reveal, a slow careful step over the tank, then a pause (face reaction), and then a return to urgency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alan, That's fine. I see what you mean. Thanks for the feedback, I will upload a new take on the scene soon :)

      Delete